« Back to FrontPage
European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection
The EU COM(2006) 786 final is the legislative framework for the European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection. The framework comprises:
- A procedure for the identification and designation of European Critical Infrastructure ECI,
- An action plan,
- Establishment of a Critical Infrastructure Warning Information Network (CIWIN) and a Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) Contact and Expert Group,
- Support of the Member States,
- Contingency planning and
- The external dimension.
The EPCIP action plan is an ongoing process involving regular reviews. It follows three objectives:
- To consider strategic aspects and to develop horizontally applicable measures;
- To reduce vulnerability of ECI; and
- To set up a national framework to assist EU Member States.
- European Commission: COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION on a European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection. COM(2006) 786 final. Brussels, 2006.
- Commission of the European Communities: Green Paper on a European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection (presented by the Commission). COM(2005) 576 final. Brussels, 2005.
- http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/justice_freedom_security/fight_against_terrorism/l33260_en.htm (European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection)
- http://www.ceps.eu/taskforce/critical-infrastructure-protection-eu (CEPS - The Centre for European Policy Studies)